Home Insurance

As your largest investment, it’s important to make sure your home has the proper insurance coverage. We’ll protect your home and everything in it for the lowest possible price

Home insurance can help protect your finances from expensive repairs or replacement of your home in the event of a covered loss.

At Smart Flex Agents, we help you:

Decide on coverages that protect you and your finances

Decide on limits that are a good fit for your personal situation.

Shop with multiple carriers and find discounts to get you the best deal.

Get a Home insurance quote with us and you could save hundreds of dollars a year. It only takes a few minutes to find out how much we can save you!

Home insurance policies contain several different types of coverages that each apply to different things:

Dwelling Coverage

Dwelling coverage pays to repair or rebuild a home if damaged or destroyed by fire, hail, lightning, or other disaster listed in the policy up to the coverage limit in the policy. It will not pay for damage caused by a flood, earthquake, routine wear and tear or other excluded events. Most standard policies also cover structures that are not attached to a house such as a garage, tool shed, or gazebo.

How much should you have?

Our view is that you should have enough to rebuild your home in the event of a total loss.  Often, this is not the same as the current market value of your home.

Personal Property Coverage

Personal property coverage pays to repair or replace your belongings if damaged or destroyed by fire, hail, lightning, or other disaster listed in the policy up to the coverage limit in the policy. You’re protected no matter where in the world the belongings are located. It also covers the belongings of people who live with you, and the belongings of guests while the policyholder is present.

Personal belongings include things such as furniture, electronics, clothing, sporting equipment, watercraft, silverware, firearms, furs and jewelry. Trees, plants and shrubs are also usually covered, except wind damage and disease.

Very valuable items, like jewelry, cash or firearms may have limited or no coverage under a typical homeowners insurance policy. There are separate coverages for these valuable items that can be purchased.

Policyholders need to inventory their belongings they would claim if damaged or lost due to a peril. The inventory of belongings should include photos or video of the items as well as any receipts and proof of purchase to attach, which is much easier in this current age of smartphones.

How much should you have?

Most companies provide between 50%-70% of the dwelling limit. If you have more in belongings than 50% of the dwelling limit, please let us know so we can get your things properly protected

Liability Coverage

Liability coverage protects against lawsuits for bodily injury or property damage that policyholders or family members cause to other people. It also pays for damage caused by pets. The liability portion of the policy pays for both the cost of defending the policyholder in court and any court awards—up to the coverage limit in the policy. Coverage is not just at the home but extends to anywhere in the world. Liability limits generally start at about $100,000.

An umbrella or excess liability policy, which provides broader coverage, including claims for libel and slander, as well as higher liability limits, can be added to the policy.

How much should you have?

Our view is that you should balance buying liability limits high enough to cover your net worth with what you can afford.  Possibly add an umbrella policy for higher net worth individuals

Additional Living Expense (ALE) Insurance Coverage

Additional Living Expense coverage pays the additional costs of living away from home if a house is inhabitable due to damage from a fire, storm or other insured disaster. It covers hotel bills, meals and other living expenses incurred while the home is being rebuilt. Coverage for additional living expenses differs from company to company.

All of these protections come standard in the most common home insurance policy (HO-3 form). If you have a mortgage, your lender will require a certain minimum of dwelling coverage to protect the house. Otherwise, you have the option to adjust these coverages to fit your needs.

Other protections home insurance can provide:

Every insurance policy is different, but there are other coverages homeowners insurance frequently provides such as.

Unauthorized use of credit cards: Most homeowners insurance policies cover unauthorized charges to your credit card. The limit on this is usually low ($500). Most credit card companies will remove unauthorized charges from your card once you report them.

Debris removal: Companies usually pay reasonable expenses to remove debris on property from a covered disaster that caused a loss. Trees downed by a peril are covered, but generally only to $500 per item.

Identity fraud: Coverage that protects a homeowner and pays to help them restore their identity in the event it is used fraudulently.

Loss assessment: If your home is damaged from a covered loss, you’ll have to have a professional damage assessment made. Homeowners insurance policies frequently cover loss assessments up to a certain limit.

What homeowners insurance doesn’t cover

There are a number of things homeowners insurance will not cover. Some are obvious and some aren’t so obvious.

Some other things homeowners insurance will not cover include neglect or failure to make repairs, wear and tear, corrosion and rust, contamination, animals and pests, fungi, nuclear hazards, power failure, government actions and war.

The two most important to take note of are earthquakes and floods. Both are common perils in some areas and have insurance products designed specifically for each one. Homeowners insurance exclusions also differ between companies and from state to state.

A home is one of the biggest investments people ever make. Allow us to help you protect your home.