Auto Insurance

Auto insurance can help protect your finances from expensive repairs or replacement of your auto in the event of a covered loss.

At Smart Flex Agents, we help you:

Decide on coverages that protect you and your finances.

Decide on limits that are a good fit for your personal situation.

Shop with multiple carriers and find discounts to get you the best deal

Get an auto insurance quote with us and you could save thousands of dollars a year. It only takes a few minutes to find out how much we can save you!

Liability Coverage

Liability insurance covers the cost of bodily injury or property damage to others if you’re at fault in an accident up to the amount in your policy.

Do you need it?

All states except New Hampshire require some degree of liability protection. You don’t want to get pulled over and not have at least this coverage.

How much should you have?

Our view is that you should balance buying per accident bodily injury liability limits high enough to cover your net worth with what you can afford. If you’re at fault in a major crash, you should have enough coverage to protect you against the cost of injuries to others.

Comprehensive and Collision Coverage

Collision insurance covers damage to your car that happens while driving, this can be an accident involving another vehicle or with an inanimate object. Comprehensive insurance covers damage to your car from events unrelated to driving, such as hail damage or theft.

Do you need it?

If your car is leased or financed, your lender will require you to buy this insurance. If you own a car outright, you aren’t required to buy these coverages.

How much should you have?

Comprehensive and collision insurance cover the damage to your car up to its actual cash value, less your deductible.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Coverage

PIP covers the medical costs of injury to you or your passengers in an accident, regardless of fault. It has the added benefit that it covers the cost of missing work if an injury leaves you incapable of working for some period.

Do you need it?

The following 12 states require some form of PIP: Florida, Hawaii, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Oregon and Utah. Residents of the remaining states are not mandated to buy PIP or it is not an option in some states. Many health insurance policies may cover your medical costs after an accident, but PIP also offers coverages for lost wages related to an injury.

How much should you have?

If your state has PIP coverage, we recommend you buy PIP if your health insurance does not cover auto-related injuries or if you want coverage for lost wages. If you don’t have health insurance, we recommend you buy an affordable amount of PIP to protect you against the cost of injury to yourself in a crash and coverage for lost wages.

Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Insurance Coverage

Covers property damage or bodily injury to you or your passengers if an at-fault driver has insufficient insurance to cover the costs (underinsured motorist insurance) or if the driver has no insurance at all (uninsured motorist insurance).

Do you need it?

Around half of the states require uninsured and/or underinsured motorist insurance. We recommend buying this coverage as it is relatively affordable and one in eight drivers in the U.S. is uninsured, leaving you at risk if an uninsured hits you.

Drivers who have PIP and collision and comprehensive insurance don’t need uninsured or underinsured motorist insurance

How much should you have?

We recommend buying limits for these coverages in a similar amount to your bodily injury and property damage liability coverage limits.

Who is covered by my auto insurance—and under what circumstances?

Your auto policy will cover you and other family members on your policy, whether driving your car or someone else’s car (with their permission). Your policy also provides coverage if someone who is not on your policy is driving your car with your consent.

Your personal auto policy only covers personal driving, whether you’re commuting to work, running errands or taking a trip. It will not provide coverage if you use your car for commercial purposes—for instance, if you deliver pizzas.

Personal auto insurance will also not provide coverage if you use your car to provide transportation to others through a ride-sharing service such as Uber or Lyft. Some auto insurers are now offering supplemental insurance products that extend coverage for vehicle owners providing ride-sharing services at an additional cost.

Smart Flex Agents are trusted by the
industry’s best companies to present their products.